There is a single-minded beast known as a honey badger. Through bee stings, snakebites, and other degradations, the animal never stops killing and eating. It is referred to in the Guinness Book of World Records as the most fearless animal in all the animal kingdom.
When bitten by a King Cobra, instead of instantly dying, the honey badger simply sleeps for a few minutes, then recovers and goes and kills the cobra. It is mean, determined, thick-skinned and smart. It will even attack lions and leopards. When honey badgers kill something (usually 100+ kills a day) they crack open their victim’s skull with their teeth and eat their brain!
So how can you be as powerful as a honey badger when it comes to unerringly reaching your goals in life? How can you become as focused, persistent, and courageous? What will it take to being assured of the accomplishment of your objectives?
1. You must want to realize your goal as badly as you would want air after having had your head held under icy water for 35 seconds by a strong man. If you don’t want your objective with enough intensity, you might as well give up right away.
2. Realize that most people don’t care about you, don’t notice you, won’t remember your failures, and won’t help you in your mission – “If it’s to be, it’s up to me.” So stop worrying about what other people will think if you fail. Stop being concerned about their opinions and what they think. It doesn’t matter.
3. Realize that the demons and obstacles you face are never as daunting as they are in your imagination. Instead of focusing on what can go wrong, concentrate on how you will feel when you achieve your goal. Rather than being concerned about what you have to lose, fix your attention on what you have to gain. Obstacles only have the impact you imagine them to have.
4. Stop making excuses, complaining, whining, and blaming others for your temporary setbacks. Take responsibility. Discipline yourself. Endure the pain, like the honey badger.
5. As Paul J. Meyer said, “Enter every activity without giving mental recognition to the possibility of defeat.” You have one life. Live it to the full. It’s YOUR life. Make your dreams come true. Be a honey badger, and align yourself with like-minded winners. Kick the losers out of your life.
6. Work steadfastly on reaching your goals every day. Build your life, habits, relationships, and actions around your goals. Manage your thoughts. Expect to win!
From the Dhammapada: “If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts, suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox. If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts, happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow.”
Robin Elliott LeverageAdvantage.com